Sunday 19 August 2018

Tweedsmuir Atnarko to Hathaway Lake Tuesday Aug 14th.


Yep the night was free as again the ranger does not come, I'm told by my neighbors that this camp will close Aug 15th due to the expected bear risk. Getting ready to go, I notice a bear paw print on my passenger window that was not there last night.  I did wake up during the night but don't recall hearing anything.  The paw print is larger than my hand spread wide, so likely a grizzly, my head was right on the other side of that spot. Camp Atnarko #13 right on the river.

Off to Hagenborg a Norwegian settlement for breakfast $23, should have been $13 but I was short changed, I saw her take 20 out of the till but when I looked much later I saw I only had a ten and 3 fives as change for a fifty.   So up 20 on free site down $10 on breakfast.

I visit the fish Hatchery and get a private tour with Chris, who explains that this is a federal site getting a $40.5 million up-grade and they plan to catch 4600 pairs of salmon this season. Mostly Chum but some coho,sockeye, pink,and steel head. They should gross around  23 million eggs and yield 97% into fry, holding over the winter and releasing them in the spring when they are about 1.5" long into 8 local rivers and streams.  The Hatchery success rate for returning salmon is 8 to 30 times better than wild salmon. Still this means that of 22 million fry released they hope for 40-90,000 to return one day. They will tag 1/5 by cutting off their adipose fin or second small fin on top and putting a a pin in their head.  (4.5 million to be tagged)

Here the interesting thing when the salmon is caught with a missing fin they are instructed to cut off the head and turn it their local fishery office. Depending where the fish was caught preservation raised in both Canada and the USA money will be directed.  So that if it caught in Alaska than US$ will be sent to Canada.  Chris suggested that a lot of fish hatched here are caught in Alaska


Co-operative Americans, Trump clearly does not know this he needs to end this right away, giving money to Canada for fish Americans catch in their waters, It just not American. Maybe he needs to assign a tariff value for the head pins.

I decide pass on the hiking due to excessive bear warnings, I have spray but why chance it. Leaving Bella Coola up the Hickman pass mostly in 2nd gear. I  recorded the climb in real time on the gopro, and a lot of the smoke had cleared enabling me to get the view from the top.  The radio says the fire is now approaching Vanderhoof were I drove through just 2 days ago, they have closed the hwy.

Heading south 97 to 100 Mile House than east on 20 and somehow get loss but ending up at lake side camp called Hathaway Lake.  There a two loons and several fish jumping for flies.  filled up $1.35 drove 740km today.

No comments:

Post a Comment