Saturday 11 August 2018

Aug 9th Stewart to BC Lava Park hwy 113 west of Terrance

Starting at Stewart I wake up to rain again, I slow start, 10:30, but well rested.  I drive around town and head back up hwy 37a towards 37. Due to the rain taking additional pics of the glacier is not possible.

I take a pic of one waterfall on the north side of the road and am extremely lucky to see a black bear on the road. Got lots of pics and watched it for a while. Seemed to be eating flowers and licking the road.



Seeing this bear confirms that the bear in the Yukon was a grizzly.  So great I have never photographed a grizzly before.

Driving down hwy 37 a forest fire can be seen in the distance, given the rain maybe it will go out. Turning towards Terrance I go to Battle hill, a site of a warring tribe that built a raised compound, they were beheaded by the local tribes for being bad natives.

Onto Terrence, a small town with a good library I will visit on my way out of here. I head up hwy 113 towards  Ginggix the end of the highway, last trip I got smoked salmon from a local there, this time the salmon are coho, pinks and sockeye.


The 29km drive from Greenville to Ginggix is pure heaven, the road hugs a mountain side and coastal flood plain so the road twist and turns up and down hairpin 16% drops and 12% inclines to the coastal community. I love this type of driving, so much fun. I the was back is always a bit faster as you know whats coming.

.
I happen upon hot springs Higu Leguit, parking be the road you walk in through the forest to two tubs, I did not go today as its getting too dark but tomorrow morning I will go,they are free. They are just 11 kms away from my camp site at Lava field park.  The whole area here is an lava field and talking to locals there sre several hot spring throughout the valley.



Rain and forest fires mean no camp fire allowed in BC for now. Filled up at Stewart $1.44 and drove 538km today total 602,366.

Ops Terrance Library  internet will not load pics, so just text today

No comments:

Post a Comment