Tuesday 7 August 2018

Exploring Tuktoyutuk to Engineering Yukon Park Aug 4th

Exploring Tuktoyutuk, did not sleep well last day, the light was too much  to hide from. Driving into town very early 5am, nothing in open and it looks like 10am thing will start to happen, I drive the Arctic ocean park where the place is and see all the other adventurers, pulling and decide to try to sleep again.



Waking up at 10:30, so good. I look at the boat that used to take the children away for religious schooling, the underground ice food storage and arts centre which opens at 10 but not today maybe 1pm. Go to the food truck that offer muskox burgers, beluga sausage and caribou stew it too is closed for the day. The next restaurant offer coffee only and does not plan to open today. I talk to Kelly a local fisherman who has just put his catch on arctic char in the smoker for the next day. Kelly looks at my fang and gives me a peace on antler to carve myself, I'll think about that.



Lastly I look at the houses WSP Global built for $2 million each ($100 million for 50 homes) and to be frankly that look like two school portables pasted together. I'm told they developed mold problems in the first year and the government is suing them to take them back. The only local input residents got in the whole build was what colour of house do you want. New government same problem spend money failing to include the natives in the process. Bring in outsiders to build when they could have brought in skilled pro who would teach 5 locals each to build.  Everywhere I go the local want to do more be are exclude by government policy. $2 million for a portable wow good one Justin. Old houses are boarded up and are scattered through the town. This community can't get rid of their garbage, driving out of town you pass the dump which is a field of plastic bags.

 

Heading out of town the drive to Inuvik takes just 3 hours, no sun in my eyes and I know what to expect. I did see an arctic fox and got some pics. A quick drive though Inuvik to see if anything left to see and on my way south, The north end of road seem better now, fill up again at Fort McPherson
$1.49, shortly there after the rain starts and it a slippery drive to Engineering Yukon park.  Rain stops as I pull in so that a camp fire is possible. 600km today.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment