Sunday 19 August 2018

Bull Canyon to Bella Coola Aug 13th Monday

Need to say the day of the week, as when you don't read any newspapers or online line stuff not remembering the day oft he week get to be a problem

Starting from Bell Canyon camp site #1, the park ranger did come around so I'm $20 lighter this morning.  Bug spray was needed last night.  Driving to Bella Coola the pavement ended unexpectedly at Anahim Lake, the next 137km was dirt, dry and hard with cows on or near the road.  I see a coyote run across the road and later a black bear.


Into the smoke I drive sometimes with headlight on as viability drops to less than 100 feet. Its ranch country here and some wood cutting of burnt trees from fires in the last 4 years. There are several turn off with views but given the smoke I'm sure there is nothing to see. Hickman is a steep drop off from my side, 5000 foot decline to the valley floor and Tweedsmuir park in just 13km. The road is loose gravel with no guard rail with declines of 10 to 16%, with several no stop zones for rock fall areas also one lane areas with a sheer cliff on one side. Not a section of road for a skittish driver and I'm happy I don't have an RV.

 I check out the first camp Atnarko and decide it works for me, a site right on the river, maybe even some bears fishing on the other side.  I check out the fishing hole and again no bears or fish.  Onto to
Bella Coola, for lunch and a rest at the BC hydro park located at the very end of the road.  Take pics of the old cannery on the other side of the bay and I count 7 seals bobbing their heads off shore. Load up my spare fuel and top up locally for $1.47.  The camp ranger fails to come by so my spot is free. Driving just 435km today.


No comments:

Post a Comment