Tuesday 7 August 2018

Faro to Laberge Park just north of Whitehorse Aug 6st

Drive to Faro, bills its self as "Yukon best kept secret" or so says the sign, really just a mining town without an operating mine.  Like all such towns they have a heavy hauler truck monomial at the entrance to the town.  This truck could carry this and it hauled that in its lifetime. The mine is closed now and much of the town is boarded up, worker houses are places where temporary squatters could make a home but even they stay away. The main sign say "store" not main street or stores
the busiest place is the firehouse as there is the smell of fire in the air.


I carry on to the Carol road passing a sign that says road closed, driving another 70km on gravel, my car is very dirty again. I get to the Carol road and the sign says  "road maintenance has ended continue at your own risk", I decide to go back to the Klondike hwy. 490km down the wrong path, tourist information should really up-date their stuff. 



Stopping at Laberge Yukon park about 80 north on Whitehorse, an early end 5pm it's dry and so the fire is on again tonight as the get got up with my trip notes. I lend out my ax to Ross and his son from Calgary who were trying to chop a log with a camping hatchet. We talk about their trip, the Dempster, to which they say I not doing a good job at selling it.


Total driven so far 9524km today drove 558km.

Done the rough road part of the trip only car issue has been the lights within the car don't work all the time. During the day ok want it at night no go.






No comments:

Post a Comment