Sunday 19 August 2018

August 19th Vancouver aug 9th to now pic posted Sunday

Sunday heading home

No video or pics today, I needed the plug to run the GPS to find my way out of Vancouver.   I could not find my BC map after packing the car and so the gps stays on for today. The plan is the fastest way home.  About 30 minutes on I pull over thinking I may have left my laptop plug in the hotel.  Shortly after finding it I notice a park beside the car. Here in BC at this time of year every park if full of blackberries and nobody seems to be eating them, its crazy. I return to the car an hour later with both hands very purple stained fingers and a few scratches from reaching. Back to side streets as directed by the gps and after several turns there is hwy 1 out of the city than back to hwy 3.  I fill-up just short of Abbortford at the lowest in BC $1.249 $90 worth. including spare tank.

The turn of for hwy 3 is easy and for a while its a freeway ending into a narrow winding road, the trees here look like redwoods, tall with thick trunks. For the next 30km hwy 3 is very nice.  It goes through a small pass and the trees change to pole pine tall slender trees another pass and again they change to spruce.

Sometime ago I was having fish and chips at a bar and the guy beside me was going on how the indians are all about getting control of the land and ending his comment he said "as if they knew what to do with it if they got it". The irked me at the time.  However driving today into Keremeos the start of BC fruit and wine growing area its seems to ring true.  The valley start out packed with small 3-6 acre orchard grows and on the dry land wines.  Then all working the land ends I enter a native
reserve, the land looks fine water readily available but no activity.  A few km later, vineyards and fruits trees again and still another reserve and again no activity. All the sudden the grey tumbleweed rocky high ground become vineyards and the low ground fruit trees. 

Into Osoyoos again, and Sunday is very different than Friday, about 2/3 of the people and cars are gone, parking on the main drive is everywhere. I drive on and the first major climb begins rising 1200m in a few kms.  Shortly after Grand forks a mother bear and her one club cross the road, I guess she lost on.

At Salno I take a wrong turn onto hwy 6 north and end up in Nelson 40km along.  After a major search for the map I discover I need to return to Salmo and take hwy 6 which is joined by 3.  I got confused as hwy 6 south sign says US customs and that not what I want. I pull off at a rest area about 80km short of Creston. 607625km 751km today.

No comments:

Post a Comment