Sunday 17 July 2016

Day 8 Whitehorse July 16th 2016






Spend most of morning either driving or at the Tourist information internet hot spot. Had some car issues, front left tire was low, I pumped it up and after pulling plug the outlet stopped working. I have been loose in there for a long time so perhaps I pulled it apart. Doesn’t seem like a big deal, however that mean no more charging computer, cell phone and worst of all no MP3 player, also I had my second hard start on the car.




 
There a few things in town to see, I started with the Mac Bridge Museum which ended with a 1 hour talk with a 12th place finisher of last year’s Yukon Quest 1000 mile dog race from Fairbanks Alaska to Whitehorse.  He team of 14 Siberian huskies, much smaller dog all white and only about 50-60 pounds. However he has another 39 dogs at home.  


I got my tire fixes at Kal Tire, nice they did not charge, maybe the felt this guy is living in his car.

Next I heading for a hike at Miles Canyon, making it just to the suspended bridge before the rain came. I headed south with no luck in finding a tent site and so headed for the back-up idea staying at Walmart parking lot.





Everyone traveling around should spend a night at Walmart parking lot.  It’s like staying at a youth hostel while touring Europe.   After the store closes everyone puts out tables and chairs, the drinks come out and you go around meeting folks and swapping advice and experiences of the road ahead or past.  Other benefits, 24hr flush toilet, portable drinking water, no bugs, 24hr police, no bears, Free. Only negative no camp fire.  I did meet a group from Inuvik, so I got good advice on the Dempster Highway and 2 places to stay when I arrive. The white RV was shipped from Sidney Australia to Panama and they have been driving north since. (don't know why the text changed here) Drove only 220km's today






No comments:

Post a Comment