Saturday 16 July 2016

Day 7 Tetsa River BC to Teslin Territorial Park Yukon july 15



Leaving Tetsa River Park,  I notice if I drove just 20km more last night and for the next 150km there are plenty free river side camp sites to be had.  

Highway 97 also called the Alaskan highway runs through several small BC parks First was Stone Mountain, where I got a great pic of mountain goats, also caribou.  The next had was Laird Provincial Park, which has hot springs,  but its the weekend and it was way too busy, no sites available.  










Driving BC 97 north is wonderful; I really enjoy shift gears, up down hard turns, just great stuff. I saw a black bear again this one eating at the side, but it too managed to hide just in time. I pulled off to Smith Falls, just took shot, the hike look too risky, my left ankle is a bit swollen, just 700m hike but the start was a decline like the waterfalls without any rope to hold onto.  So it would seem they are willing to spend money on a 2 km road to the falls a bunch of signs but when it comes to the trail that’s too much.



A Little north the Bison warning sign came up again, and very soon a lone Bison was at the side.  50km later there was a whole herd of at least 100 on both side of the road and a few crossing in pairs, bulls, cows and calves.




Stopped by at Whirling rest area:





Crossing into Yukon Territory, there was no sign of welcome, just nothing.  The Alaskan hwy, floats in and out the Yukon and BC a few times before finally in the Yukon, so I figured it was still to come, nope.

The first major town is Watson Lake, two things, fuel just 1.099ltr 0.12 less than BC and they have a park called “The Park of Signs”, a fun idea that has really taken off.





The shot I have been trying to get for some time now finally happened but for a brown bear not black. I learn later that black bears start out brown.




I visited the George Johnston museum in Teslin




Pulled off very early today before 6pm my time but since time changed again just before 5pm, driving just 670km’s. Stopping at Teslin Lake Territorial Park, $12 unlimited firewood included, need to boil your water or you can do this.


Tomorrow Whitehorse and hopefully a library:

5 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog, I have saved the tab in on my browser. Keep it up ! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been able to buy buffalo steaks or burgers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall that museum in Teslin. Pretty amazing the art pieces they have there. You know me on TDIclub as Mike in Anchorage. Best wishes on the rest of the trip. Who knows - if you have time in Anchorage we can chat over tea or a brew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No not yet, but we have bison and it sells at the Cape in 1pound pack $10.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently is illegal to sell bush meat and wild Bison or moose are Canada's bush meat.

    ReplyDelete