Tuesday 26 July 2016

Day 16, Return to Achorage and Yukon



Waking up just after 7am I continue my return to Anchorage.  I pass the fire zone and still the pull offs are blocked.  This time it low tide and the Turnagain Arm which is an inlet off Cook Inlet is almost dry.  The tides are high in the north, Cook Inlet claims to be the highest in North America, however I seem to remember the Bay of Fundy is the highest. 

Being Sunday, there does not seem much to do, I check out the artist/craft sale downtown and realize I’m not really into crafts, much of the art seems to have the made in China look to it and then it starts to spit again.  I had planned to meet up with someone from TDIClub but it’s too early to call and the library is closed for another 2 hours if open at all.  I turn of the radio and hear that rain is expected for the next week and if you want sunshine and warmth you need to go to Canada and so I decide to cut my Alaska trip short and head for the Yukon.

Spitting becomes heavy rain within an hour of driving.  However by 2pm I feel I have made the right decision as the rain stops, fog lifts and there seems to swatches of blue sky around. The first part of Glenn highway passes along a very long glacier, not seen by me due to the fog, but every now than I saw a glimpse. The road to Canada follows a series for valleys and rivers; no gold panning is this area, some logging and farming here and there. 

Canada customs fine again, I’m told that through social media someone had called the RCMP to inquiry on my safety because I did not post for several days. This is an event that I never considered of having a travel blog, I think that an added security notion when doing a long solo trip, Thank you.


 Pulling off at Lake Creek Territorial Camp ground $12, around 7pm, having driven 1012km.

1 comment: