Saturday 23 July 2016

Day 14, Friday July 22, Anchorage, pics are up

Waking up at Walmart to rain once again, I listened to the forecast that basically said where ever you are in Alaska it will be raining, with fog and some wind. I go to MCD for a bad breakfast and internet; however the Wi-Fi is not working so spend the time charging the computer.  Fairbanks has several hiking trail near the University, however due to rain, I pass.




Heading south on hwy 3 or Parks highway towards Denali National Park, I notice that my taking off the wheels to scrap off the dirt was the right thing to do. There seems to a new squeaking or rubbing sound when I go into reverse. 

Arriving at Denali there is a bit of a town build up just before the park, look a bit like Jasper except it’s all along the highway and clearly on the outside of the park.  I arrive at the visitor centre, watch a movie not sure the title but is seemed like a year in the parks life.  That it, I could have spent the whole day on park bus going 10 miles per hour 60 miles deep into the park and back but it is just raining and cold and really sitting on the bus for 12 hours does not seem to exciting, even if they stop for animals.  As for animals, they only show the mountain goat as common and that’s the only I have not seen on this trip yet, so I left for Anchorage.

Driving down to Anchorage you go along a valley it would seem, a mountain range on one side and river the other. Fast road 65mph on just 2 lanes, there was 1 forest fire area, again not identified. Arriving into Anchorage area just after 4pm, I turn off to see the Native Heritage Center; they have an after 4pm cut rate $9.95 instead of $24.  


 The main show is a live performance of a drummer and dancers, preceded by a talk about native mistreatment's by the Alaskan and US government. I missed the talk but saw the dancing and drumming activity and headed for the art displays.  They tried to explain why the Heidi people seemed to such good artist as posed to more northern tribes. Saying that they live where food and housing materials are abundant and so much more time could be dedicated to artist activities.  I think 6 tribes were represented, each showing some of their art work.  Outside there were 6 traditional houses one for each tribe with a tribal representative inside waiting for any questions you may have.






I arrive in Anchorage downtown just before 6pm and drive along the river front; had to do a U-turn to avoid two military bases; around the port lands; and watch lots of people fishing on the main river running into town for a while. I did not see any action, but I’d say there were a least 100 people trying. It’s raining hard and I prefer to be somewhere natural and decide to head for the south coast towards Seward on Prince William Sound or Kenai on Cooks Inlet. 

I stop short thinking it’s been two weeks sleeping in the car maybe I should get a hotel for a night and so look around for a library or MCD, find and library which just closes as I walk up. I see MCD in the distance and head there, for some reason I can’t figure out all the one way streets to make it there and decide to go for Pho Vietnam Restaurant, which turns out to be right behind the Walmart and decide pull in for the night. 

 I expect no social action here either as the rain keeps coming.


Anchorage Walmart parking lot has a lot of unusual activity.  I thought the Walmart was in a bit of the financial district as you can see all the major banks, brokerages and insurance companies along one street. That maybe the case, however I’d say it was also the local drug and hooker pick-up site.  Not the walker type but rather drive up flash your lights car comes over to your car, girl get out into the other car.  About 40 minutes later, same girl comes back.  I saw this happen 3 times.  Then there is a guy with blue puck-up truck driving around the parking lot for3 hours, again meeting others cars for jest a few minutes.  This activity all ends at 12am when a security car shows up. Security drives around the parking lot all night long.  I saw the same car and driver at 7am.



 613 km’s today bringing the trip total to 10835 or 6826 miles in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment