Saturday 23 July 2016

Day 12 Wednesday July 20th. Dawson to Top of the World Hwy and Chicken USA

The Tombstone Mountains are now snow-covered, maybe they were before as I could not see the top for the fog.  I saw a grizzly bear, running like a fox in front of my car for about 200 metres before heading into the bush. There were several Arctic Hares at the camp site last night and many along the road today. They are very big bunnies with summer brown to black coats and white feet, no pic.






I reported the bear siting to park official at the Tombstone Welcome centre, they asked many questions; where; when; was it a big bear; what colour was it; did it look health.

Driving into Dawson the first thing you see on both sides of the road is mine tailing covering the whole valley.  I drove to dredge #3 a massive gold dredge and Parks Canada Site, I passed on the tour as the guide did not wear the Parks Canada clothing and the posted sign said $10 but he said $20.  Funny I saw him in town after lunch. Lots of German tourist in town, I’d say they out number other groups 4 to 1. 




I walked the wooden boardwalks, looked into a few stores, saw the museum located at the court house, nice display of old pictures, leaving around 3pm for the ferry to Top of the World Highway my last really long stretch of dirt road 296km’s.






Top of the World Highway is just like the Dempster, it was dry so easy going at first, the rain started and there was a muddy section then is seemed to be dry the rest of the way. The Canadian portion is all up-hill, wide with many pullouts, every mountain, valley, lake or river is identified.  You arrive at the highest Canada-US border crossing in 106km. 




 Border protection fine, they just wanted my apples from New Zealand, turns out I bought them back at Walmart the next day.  The US side starts out wonderful, new pavement but it ends after 10 miles.   The next 41 miles are far worse than any section of the Dempster, narrow, winding again no guard rails, mud and pot holes everywhere.  It’s I all downhill, following a river that seemed to be very active with small gold slushing activities.  Single gold miners trying their luck 1 camper, 1 wash pan at a time. Also nothing was identified, rivers, bridges, forest fire damage.



I looked at a state forest camp site $10, camp host was really ready for me, but I was just looking, too early.  The sites offered were small spots, high grass around, firewood extra and of 25 sites only 2 were taken.  I pulled off just 8pm at the road side about 12 miles north of hwy 2 having driven 556km’s, free 2 hours later. 

 There were many mushroom around and really choice ones, king boletes, these mushrooms are 6-10 inches, but they were all past their prime.  I see several puff and honey mushrooms in good condition.  




If you are wondering how I deal with the sunlight here, below is a pic of my car set-up. I have a piece of plywood that runs the length of the passenger side of the car (front seat fully reclined), the full 8 feet, with some trimming at the front so that it does not interfere with the stick shift and tucks under the glove box. There are 5 2” by 3” planks that fit underneath, 1 on the seat portion, 1 for the back portion of the front seat to ensure sideways stability and 3 to adjust tilting so that the surface is flat or a bit higher on my head side. I removed the larger part of my back seat. For the day light I basically stuff my head and shoulders into the trunk space with a towel blocking the light, It’s pretty black in there and lots of head room.



No comments:

Post a Comment