Thursday 4 August 2016

Day 22 Saturday July 30th Kitimat City Camp ground to Little Andrew Bay BC Park













I started the day looking at the giant spruce tree, the largest in BC just 11 feet thick and 36 feet around. 

Next a waterfall adjacent to the Rio Tinto main offices, I was expecting a long hike but it was not to be.

I made my way to Kitimaat Village; as I have seen almost 40 native villages on this trip the same thing seems to be the case.  Wonderful public buildings; school, arena, council, and most houses are of the same vintage and generally speaking poorly maintained.  It would seem the natives think that when they get a free house it should come with a landscape designer, a gardener, full service garbage removal service and maintenance staff, to do things like repair the driveway, replace the roof after 20 years, fix broken windows, doors, porches and paint the house, mow the lawn.  It would seem they say to themselves, well I got a new house but I dammed if I going to take care of it.  Makes me wonder how these people who claim to be great Stuart’s of the environment can’t seem to take of their own households. 

There is a lot of evidence out there to suggest that they moved on every now and then, maybe it was because they made such a mess of things that the elders told to find a nice clean place to live. I took pics of the school, houses and some boats in their harbour.

Drove back to Terrace, thought about the library for a while and found the way blocked by the BC day parade. I do find the on holiday weekend country folks like to go where the crowds will be, whereas city folk like to get away from everyone, I left town right away.  Heading east on hwy 16 as you pass Evelyn cattle ranching seems to start.  Sharp mountains have given way to rolling mountains and fields of hay. 

To make it interesting at Houston I decide to take Morice Lake road, my map shows it a grey line so I am expecting gravel. I pass the remains of a West Fraser Timber Mill but Canfor still seems to be in business here.  The road seems to be a little more direct to a BC park unnamed on my map but has 133 sites and is on Oostra Lake.  The road signs indicate one should call ahead that they have entered the road.

 





 Seems odd but after some time I think these signs are for lumber truck plying the way as it would be impossible for two of these trucks to pass on this road.  After 85km the road narrows and is really just a one lane road now. A truck passes and I get another large chip in my windshield, that make 7 for the trip, wonder if its’ worth getting fixed or just buy a new one for $170.  The road splits and I decide to the most traveled one, 35km later there is a 3 way split and now I’m not sure what to do, all roads look well-traveled. I did see a small yellow sign about 4” by 15” indicating Noralee and decide to abandon this road and head back to that cut off. About 24km back I see a sign for Andrew Bay BC Park 23km and decide that must be the road.  









 Heading down I see one of those U-Mog like European All-Terrain SUV heading out so it looks good.  Arriving at Little Andrew Bay Park, I get a great site overlooking the lake and boat ramp, chop some wood and realize I’m not at the right park as this park only has 16 sites.

 518km today 

No comments:

Post a Comment